When you hire a refinisher or refinishing company to reglaze your bathtub they will apply a “topcoat”, these topcoats are industrial paints known as “coatings”. All coatings have different durability and performance properties that should be taken in consideration when applied on a bathtub because of the environment.
Here are the properties and characteristics that should be considered in a coating when using to refinish bathtubs:
– Immersion Service rated (underwater coating)
– Non-yellowing (Does not discolor or turn yellow)
– Hard yet flexible to allow for expansion and contraction
– Chemically Resistant (stands up to household cleaners and harsh chemicals)
– VOC Compliant (Volatile Organic Compounds are within legal limits)
– Does not Fade, Chalk or peel.
Below is a visual representation comparing durability and performance properties in conventional coatings commonly used in the refinishing industry from WORST to BEST.
This graph is based off of research conducted by EM Refinishing, we encourage you to conduct your own research before deciding what type of coating is best for your application.
- Automotive Finishes
- Industrial Urethane
- Modified Epoxys
- Modified Polymers
- Acrylic Urethane